[mythtv-users] I can't make any progress in getting Mythtv to work

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Oct 25 13:47:24 UTC 2008

greg wrote:
> daryl wrote:
>> I have read all the how-tos and manuals and I am not able to get Mythtv
>> to do anything for me? It seems that everything I read is written with
>> the assumption that a new user already has some built-in understanding
>> of the terminology and processes involved.
>>
>> I installed 'mythtv' with synaptic. Now when I click on
>> system>administration>mythtv backend setup I get a message "backend must
>> be closed before continueing. Is it ok to close backend processes". I
>> chose 'ok'.
>> A ternimal window then opened for a couple seconds and the I am asked to
>> chose a preferred language. I chose english. The next message is 'NO
>> UPnP BACKENDS FOUND'. I click on 'ok' and 'database configuration 1/2'
>> comes up.
>>
>> I guess the 'NO UPnP BACKENDS FOUND' was simply verifying that the
>> backend was shut down.
>>
>> My localhost name is 'localhost'.There is no port setting.Database name
>> is 'mythconverg'. Username was 'mythtv' but I changed it to 'daryl'
>> since I am in the mythtv group. It then lists password which was also
>> 'mythtv'.
>>
>> I changed the password to the password found   in the 'mysql.txt' file.
>>
>> Next to where is says "ping test server" there is a space labeled
>> "port". Should there be anything in it?
>>
>> Page 2 has these options. "Use custom identifier for frontend
>> preferences" and "Enable database server wakeup". I think these can be
>> left alone for now. Correct?
>>
>> Now when I click the "finish" button I get this message "Cannot find
>> (ping) database host on network. Clicking on "ok" takes my back to the
>> first configuration page.
>>
>> I can not do anything but go in circles that lead nowhere.
>>
>> Am I missing a trick or what? What is the solution to setting up Mythtv.
>>
>> My Hauppauge HVR 1600 is detected according to dmesg cx18.

> My suggestion would be to uninstall mythtv using synaptic. Then when
> that is complete,search synaptic for mythtv. Look down the list for
> Mythbuntu control centre...Follow those instruction's, choose primary
> Backend  then front end. Don't run the MythTv Configuration yet,choose
> all the options you want (themes,plugins etc.)..The important thing is
> to read every window message....
> This of course assumes you are running Ubuntu....

A lot of people find configuring Myth to be difficult. You are
definitely not alone.

There is a screencast that walks you through the process with Mythdora.
While you are not using MythDora, it might help you to watch the video,
so you will have an idea what is involved in the process and what to
expect to need to do.

http://www.mythpvr.com/mythtv/distribution/mythdora/4/install-1.html

Hope it is at least of some help to you.

If you are creating a dedicated MythTV machine, you might want to
consider one of the "All-in-One" MythTV distributions like MythDora,
Mythbuntu, or Knoppmyth. These installation disks can usually create a
working system in less than an hour. Since you seem to be familiar with
Ubuntu, perhaps Mythbuntu might be more familiar to you.

Just a thought.

beww