[mythtv-users] I can't make any progress in getting Mythtv to work

daryl sofasurferlinux at charter.net
Mon Oct 27 16:39:14 UTC 2008

Johnny Russ wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 6:46 PM, daryl <sofasurferlinux at charter.net
> <mailto:sofasurferlinux at charter.net>> wrote:
>
>     Now, using Ubuntu Hardy with Mythbuntu-desktop installed I have
>     the same
>     problems as in my first post...
>
>     I configured a primary backend and a frontend.
>
>     Next to where is says "ping test server" on the first setup page,
>     there is a space labeled
>     "port". Should there be anything in it? Should "ping test server"
>     be checked or unchecked?
>

> Usually you can just leave these alone, unchecked and the port blank.
> It should use the default port. You can change the port if your
> database is running on another machine.
>

>     Page 2 has these options. "Use custom identifier for frontend
>     preferences" and "Enable database server wakeup". I think these can be
>     left alone for now. Correct?
>

> You don't need to use a custom identifier unless you change the
> hostname of you machine frequently, which most people do not do. You
> don't need database server wakeup. Again that is for when you have
> another backend machine that has the database running on that machine.
> If the other machine sleeps or is shutdown, that setting would let you
> wake it up to access the database. You don't need to worry about that
> since you are using a combined frontend/backend machine.
>

>     Now when I click the "finish" button I get this message "Cannot find
>     (ping) database host on network. Clicking on "ok" takes my back to the
>     first configuration page.
>

> I had this happen recently when I set up a new backend. During the
> setup I put in the ip address of the machine instead of just using
> localhost when it asked for the address of the mysql server. Others
> can probably explain this better, I assume it had something to do with
> mysql not being setup to accept connections from the network or
> something like that. Just to make sure you can reset the installation
> for these things by running:
>
> sudo dpkg-reconfigure mythtv-common

When I run "sudo dpkg-reconfigure mythtv-common", I am able to change
the username and password and they show up as I changed them in
?home/daryl/.mythtv/mysql.txt. I then finish going through the
configuration page and when I click "finish" I am taken directly back to
the beginning of the configuration page. At this point I see that
username and password are not as I have changed them, but have reverted
back to the original "username=mythtv" and password=mythtv".

It seems to me that this may be my problem, that whatever username is
set to, it is not being recognized.

What do you think?

I know there is more to do, but this seems to be my first sticking point.