[mythtv-users] Why RAID 5 stops working in 2009

Magnus magnus at yonderway.com
Tue Oct 28 15:25:39 UTC 2008

jedi wrote:
>     ...I've been thinking not RAID 10 but LVM on top of RAID1.

I think that's going to be effectively the same as RAID10, but with
added benefits; if you want to swap out RAID volumes in the future for
volumes containing bigger drives, it's pretty easy to do it one mirror
set at a time using RAID 1 + LVM.  You add in the new array, do a
pvmove, and then remove the pv for the old RAID volume from Volume Group.

If you've got a huge monolithic RAID10 volume, migrating data becomes
more problematic if you want to do it on an incremental basis (like 2
physical disks at a time).