[mythtv-users] Why RAID 5 stops working in 2009

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Tue Oct 28 17:03:39 UTC 2008

Magnus wrote:
> If your filesystem is FUBAR, I don't think it's going to matter whether
> you're striping your data via lvm2 or md.  If you have to take a RAID
> volume out of an LVM Volume Group in a hurry, your filesystem is down.
> Every Physical Volume in a Volume Group needs to have good integrity, so
> the RAID will prevent your PV from showing bad blocks to the filesystem
> in most cases.  But if the filesystem itself is corrupt, the GIGO
> principle applies.

I think he's just trying to contain the damage in the event of a
software problem with the filesystem.  It's not a bad thought.  I don't
lose much sleep over filesystem corruption, though...I can't think of
any time I've had filesystem corruption fsck couldn't fix that wasn't
caused by an underlying hardware problem, except for a couple incidents
where I did something stupid with fdisk.