[mythtv-users] Why RAID 5 stops working in 2009

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Tue Oct 28 19:45:13 UTC 2008

Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> That's when you make the decision, "Do I keep 1 month of recordings
> and not worry about losing any of them or do I keep 2 months of
> recordings and risk losing ALL of them?"

Personally, if I were building a multi-disk Myth box today, I wouldn't
use RAID for recorded video storage.  I'd use storage groups.  I don't
care that much about losing recordings (they're just TV(tm)), and with
storage groups I'd only lose one drive's worth, instead of all of them
like I would with RAID 0 or LVM.

Losing my recording rules would be a major pain, so RAID 1 might make
sense for the database.  But then again, I have nightly backups for that.