[mythtv-users] Frontends

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Thu Oct 30 23:56:26 UTC 2008

jedi wrote:
>     I don't see it as that big of a deal. MythTV running in a window
> on the desktop does well enough. I am not sure a separate app would
> do any better while potentially doing remarkably worse.

For the most part it works OK.  If I were going to put together a
wishlist, though, I think it'd look something like this:

- On-the-fly window resizing.

- Honoring the window manager's window placement.  Right now the window
rudely pops back to the upper left corner whenever it feels like it.

- Mouse support.  Right now it's maybe 25% there.  For example, you can
click "Watch recordings" in the main menu, but once you're there,
nothing on the recordings screen responds to mouse input.  Same with
"Watch videos" -- those yellow folders look so nice and clickable, but
they aren't.

- Ability to toggle the window aspect ratio on the fly.

- Being able to crop would be nice, too -- for example, if the recording
is a 16:9 broadcast that was letterboxed to 4:3, show it in a 16:9
window, with the black bars cropped out.  The old Windows ATI TV player
would let you do this just by drawing a rectangle on the video window
with the mouse.

And yes, I know if I ever want to actually see any of this stuff I'll
probably have to submit a patch.  A guy can dream, though. ;)

>     Having the internal player being a separate app could be cool
> though.

That would be handy.  I often end up using mythfrontend to play non-Myth
content just because it works better than mplayer or xine for many file
types.  The audio sync is more consistent and seek works better.