[mythtv-users] Monit and mythbuntu

robbinsck1 at gmail.com robbinsck1 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 20:38:24 UTC 2008

It sounds like the init.d script for mythbackend could be placing the
pid file in a different location. You could look at the mythbackend
script to see where it's being placed. While I'm no monit expert, it
could be checking the process id with the number in the .pid file and
if doesn't match it says it's not started.

That's exactly what's happening and I've tried it on two different backends. I'd really like to solve this as monit worse superbly with other programs such as apache and mysql. Its definitly something to do with the pid file for mythbackend although it is created in /var/run/mythtv/mythbackend.pid.  I'm still leaning towards a permissions problem but I have givin every combonation of permission to monit and myth with no luck. Another thing I see randomly is that mythbackend will execute and run with a different pid than is in mythbackend.pid. This really screws up monit! But it random it does this, and is usaully upon executing sudo /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend restart