[mythtv-users] Sporadic Recording Issues

Ed O'Brien ed3120 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 31 22:59:27 UTC 2008

My HD tuners are suddenly having sporadic
recording issues. They will record a show successfully, and then fail
on the next show. It's either 100% successful for a show, or just a
dead recorded...there are no instances of a recording starting out well
and breaking in the middle.

So I did some more testing.  It turns out that Tuner 1 usually works and Tuner 2 rarely works.
There are some times when Tuner 1 fails and times (Very rare) when Tuner 2 succeeds.

I've tried:

  Swapping the cable signal input wires.  (ensuring it isn't a dead cable wire)

  Each cable wire one at a time (ensuring it isn't an issue of not enough cable signal to run both cards)

  Switch card slots (ensuring it's not a PCI slot issue)

  Swapping cards (ensuring that one of the tuner cards isn't dead)

No matter what I do, Tuner 1 works and Tuner 2 does not.

I've checked mythtv-setup to ensure that both cards are configured identically.  I've also rebuilt my Knoppmyth box.

The strange this is that I've had both of these tuners working great
for the past year or so. I don't know what could suddenly be causing
this issue.

I've swapped the cards into different PCI slots
several times. I haven't added any extra software. Yesterday, I did a
clean KM install and then imported my DB.

I'm just getting such inconsistent test
results....so it's very difficult to troubleshoot and find a root
cause.

If I check the backend status, it will still report that the tuners
are recording, but when I try to view the recording, it can't find the
file. MythWeb Recorded Programs lists "B" as the file size.