[mythtv-users] MythTV Secondary FE/BE Setup Advice

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Sep 2 15:34:00 UTC 2008

On 09/02/2008 11:20 AM, James Crow wrote:
> Thanks Brad. I seem to remember a discussion on this list about running
> a master BE without a tuner. AFAIR the concensus was that a master BE
> without a tuner is unsupported, but I do not recall any mention of a
> slave without a tuner. Maybe that should be added to the docs. Something
> like "If you plan/want/dream of having a slave BE it must have at least
> one tuner in it."

A slave backend without a capture card is simply a mythjobqueue
server--in other words all parts of the slave backend except that which
runs jobs are disabled, so running mythbackend is a waste.  So, rather
than run mythbackend, run mythjobqueue.

I maintain a myth system with a dedicated backend and a dedicated
frontend.  However, the frontend is sufficiently powerful to play back
recordings with a lot of spare CPU time.  Therefore, the frontend system
runs mythfrontend and mythjobqueue.

Oh, and for those reading my other message in this thread, while
installing only the minimum required software doesn't necessarily
improve performance on a *nix system, /running/ only the required
software does.  :)

Mike