[mythtv-users] EXT3 on Software RAID5 optimization

James Skimming James.Skimming at portraitsoftware.com
Wed Sep 3 15:50:46 UTC 2008

> As I had some trouble on my recording storage (JFS/LVM2/RAID5), I
> decided to recreate my storage with a ext3 fs on raid5 (mdadm).
> I know that ext3 isn't the most efficient filesystem for this purpose,
> don't want to use JFS anymore and I also read some messages talking
> about trouble with XFS.

I'm sure if you search for it, you'll find someone who's had trouble
with every file system. Though there does seem to be a considerable
amount of distain for NTFS.

I'm planning on setting up a RAID5 array for all my movies, but for
recording I'm going to stick with a single drive. This way the write
overheads of the RAID won't be much of a concern, as writing will be
occasional.

I'm going to use XFS, as belcampo said, it's good for *very large*
files. In my searching I haven't seen any more complaints about XFS
compared to the other options.

I'm not going to bother with LVM as I understand MythTV can be
configured with multiple locations for the video files. When I fill up
this first array, I'll just add a second and let MythTV know about it.

I know this doesn't answer your questions, though I'm not sure you'll
find many who use ext3 for video data storage, as everything I've read
says JFS or XFS are the best options.