[mythtv-users] Secondary viewing location help

Kevin Bailey ke-myth at retriever.dyndns.org
Wed Sep 3 23:46:28 UTC 2008

On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 01:36:22PM -0400, jansenj wrote:

> So then does anyone have any feedback on feasibility of option 4 I
> described earlier?

It looks very problematic to me. In addition to the video and audio,
realize you need some way to control myth from the kitchen.
A really long keyboard and mouse ?

This is besides the fact that you're going to have to somehow run
2 copies of mythfrontend on a computer raising the issue of
"focus". As a minor point, myth sometimes has trouble running
a single show on a dual-core, much less two.

Just get one of those briefcase HTPC cases from newegg and a
miniATX board. They're quite small and inexpensive. If it was
me, I'd want someplace to pop in a DVD as well, which is why
I don't favor the AppleTV.

The hard drive doesn't have to be at all large. Re-use an old
one. Or have the machine boot off the net, but I'm guessing
that's beyond your trouble factor.