[mythtv-users] Internal player is muted‏

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Sep 4 05:16:53 UTC 2008

<I think I put the attributions back the way they should be after they
were completely broken, mangled, and even fabricated by the user's mail
client.  I'm trying hard not to say bad things about Windows Live
Messenger for making me have to go through the trouble of fixing the
e-mail.  I am, however, wondering why they put an advertisement at the
bottom of e-mails from their system when the e-mails are such a mess (in
both the HTML and plain text versions).  If I wrote an e-mail program
that doesn't work properly, I'd probably put my competitor's product
name at the bottom to try to keep customers from choosing the
competitor.  Now that I think about it, maybe that's what happened here...>

On 09/04/2008 12:31 AM, not James Knox wrote:

 > On 08/30/2008 4:49 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
 >
 >> On 08/30/2008 03:52 PM, not James Knox wrote:
 >>
 >>> I'm using MythVideo to watch my digital media, and while previous
 >>> versions seemed to work rather well, with these latest rpms (the
 >>> ones for Suse 10.2 off of packman) suddenly the sound is gone
 >>> when I'm playing media on the internal player. Not only that, the
 >>> volume control on my remote doesn't seem to have any effect
 >>> either. Here's my lircrc. That's the one that I edit to make the
 >>> remote work with the players, right? Note that most of the other
 >>> controls for the internal player do work, but the volume doesn't.
 >>> I mean, I don't even get the popup indicating a volume change.
 >>
 >> Did you check MythControls to verify that VOLUMEUP is F11 and
 >> VOLUMEDOWN is F10 in TV Playback, TV Frontend, and/or Music
 >> contexts?
 >
 > Ok, I did in fact figure out how to install MytControls (it seems
 > plugins are available to Suse users on Packman) and was able to
 > confirm that VOLUMEUP is F11. So what do I look for now?

Then, most likely your audio configuration is broken and Myth isn't
actually opening your audio device, so Myth won't let you change the
volume since audio is disabled.

For the basics:  remember, if you have "Audio output device" set to
"ALSA:default", you need to set "Mixer device" to "ALSA:default" but if
you have "Audio output device" set to "/dev/dsp" (or any "numbered"
version of /dev/dsp), you need to set "Mixer device" to "/dev/mixer" (or
the numbered version of /dev/mixer , typically such that the number is
the same one following the /dev/dsp).

Could also be your ALSA configuration or your distro may have configured
your system to use PulseAudio or some other sound server that may not be
supported on Myth systems.

Mike