[mythtv-users] Secondary viewing location help

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 13:36:22 UTC 2008

On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 4:30 AM, jansenj
<jansenj+myth at gmail.com<jansenj%2Bmyth at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> > 2) You can use a modulator and a RF to IR module to us the remote from
> the
> > other room.  The remote transmits RF due to a special "battery" that is
> an
> > RF transmitter and a half length battery to make up the difference.  The
> RF
> > Rx is put near the myth box.  I think you can have two instances of myth
> on
> > one box but I don't know how to control them with the remote as on my
> > system, both instances respond to the remote commands.  ie. doesn't work.
> > 3) You can run coax to the other room.  One for video, one for audio.  I
> > have done this and can explain what I did if you ask.  Doesn't help with
> the
> > remote. I just did it to be able to watch what is being watched in the
> other
> > room.
>
> I'm not too worried about the remote control aspects, I figured I
> could use my wifi pda to control using mythweb to control one of the
> frontend sessions.
>
>  What it really comes down to is,  Can you run a seperate user
> login(and hence a second myth frontend config for video and audio) on
> a secondary video card, I'm guessing no, since I wouldn't have a clue
> how to do that with xorg.conf without using xinerama.  And even if I
> could get that far, I'm not sure video overlay would work on the
> second screen.  I just didn't really want to blaze that trail by
> myself.

You can definitely run two instances of mythtv on one machine.  I just did
it.  The problem was that the first one grabbed the sound card so the second
one had no sound.  Plus, they will both respond to the remote.

I don't know how to solve the sound issue.  Sounds like you would need two
different versions of the program (two data bases, two setups, etc), not
just two instances, with each somehow targeting a different sound card.  I
don't know how to do that or if that can be done.

Allen