[mythtv-users] reconciling database and recorded files

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Thu Sep 4 21:14:24 UTC 2008

On Thursday 04 September 2008 13:53, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 09/04/2008 03:03 PM, Jerome Yuzyk wrote:
> > On Thursday 04 September 2008 11:49, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> >> If you're still really motivated, perhaps you could re-re-do those
> >> scripts.  Both myth.rebuilddatabase.pl and myth.find_orphans.pl are old,
> >> semi-maintained hacks that need to be ported to use the MythTV perl
> >> bindings.  Your rewriting them to use the bindings and cleaning them up
> >> (and, IMHO, combining them into a single script) would be very useful to
> >> the project.  And, since you seem to know Perl... :)
> >>
> >> If you are interested and you have questions, I'd be happy to provide
> >> some pointers/recommendations.
> >
> > I am interested. Won't promise anything because this is on hobby time,
> > but I will nose around this evening. I do agree those scripts need to be
> > collected into a single tool, and I have used some of them as inspiration
> > for a few of my own tools. I am still using Myth 0.20 though - that
> > upgrade is on the way, working around football season (and updating to
> > Fedora 9). Have there been any significant changes in the 0.21 scripts?
>
> Not so much in the scripts themselves (other than adding
> half-a^H^H^H^H^H^Hpartial support for storage groups), but in the Perl
> bindings there have been quite a few changes.  If you do want to work on
> porting the scripts to use the bindings, you should really work on
> 0.21-fixes.  Going from their to trunk would be relatively easy, but
> going from 0.20-fixes to trunk would be quite a challenge (basically,
> updating them to use 0.20-fixes perl bindings would be a waste because
> you'd pretty much have to start over to get it into trunk).
>
> And, thanks in advance for any work you do toward conversion (after you
> sucessfully upgrade to 0.21 :).  And, good luck with those two new
> projects.

Hmmmm.. that could delay me a bit. Is there anywhere I can find out what's
different in the bindings between 0.20 and 0.21(-fixes)? If they're not
drastic then I could start working with what I have and update when I
upgrade. I do have a test rig though - no tuner - I could maybe use it to
develop on. I really don't want to rush to upgrading or move to a
source-compiled install - I need my Myth!