[mythtv-users] completely new and have questions before I buy hardware

Justin The Cynical cynical at penguinness.org
Sat Sep 6 09:28:45 UTC 2008

Quenten Griffith wrote:
> Thanks Brian, that is what I was afraid of, once the cable company goes all digital it will be encrypted and I will need their basic set top box in order to watch TV.  So in that case, if I use a STB I can use any card including analog and won't need a digital card.  So if I can get my hands on a PVR-350 I should get it and another STB.  Thanks everyone for your help.

So your cable company is killing off all analog service?

I ask as it seems that many people believe, for whatever reason, that
the FCC ruling regarding analog broadcasts applies to cable service,
when it actually applies to broadcast stations only.

I don't know if it's a misunderstanding of the upcoming change, cable
company reps being misinformed, or cable companies out right fibbing,
but it seems to be a common misconception.