[mythtv-users] Really bad prebuffering pauses

Paul Woodward paul.woodward at gmail.com
Sat Sep 6 15:00:02 UTC 2008

Hi Guys,

Wondering if anyone could help me out here.

I've got one frontend that is suffering really badly from pauses, in
order (worst first) the circumstances are:
- watching a recording of something that is still in progress
- live TV
- watching a recording

Not all recordings are affected to the same degree - I think lower res
recordings skip less.

I've got 2 stand-alone frontends and a combined front/backend - it's
only one of the standalone frontends that is affected, here are the
specs of that machine:
P4 3.0 Ghz Hyperthreading on turned on.
1.5Gb RAM
GeForce4 MX 440 AGP (using nvidia legacy driver 96.43.05)
MAudio Revolution 7.1

All shows are recorded from UK DVB-T without any transcoding.

Top shows that during playback, ~30% CPU is used. I've tried various
playback CPU profiles, but none seem to have a dramatic effect -
'Normal' is currently selected.

Here is the info from mythfrontend --version:
MythTV Version   : 17961M
MythTV Branch    : branches/release-0-21-fixes
Library API      : 0.21.20080304-1
Network Protocol : 40
Options compiled in:
 linux release using_oss using_alsa using_arts using_jack
using_backend using_dbox2 using_dvb using_firewire using_frontend
using_hdhomerun using_iptv using_ivtv using_joystick_menu
using_libfftw3 using_lirc using_opengl_vsync using_opengl_video
using_v4l using_x11 using_xrandr using_xv using_xvmc using_xvmcw
using_xvmc_vld using_glx_proc_addr_arb using_bindings_perl
using_bindings_python using_opengl using_ffmpeg_threads
using_libavc_5_3 using_live

I've attached a snippet of logs in the hope that there is some useful output.

I'd be really grateful for any assistance sorting this out.

Thanks in advance,

Paul