[mythtv-users] Home media system

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Sun Sep 7 01:16:12 UTC 2008

On Sep 6, 2008, at 4:33 PM, Brian Wood wrote:

> peter nikolic wrote:
>

>>> In my opinion the apple tv is the best frontend/bang for the buck
>>> around.
>>> Which is a wireless HD frontend with built in IR and nearly dead
>>> silent.
>>> $200.00 each.
>> I would be using decent small footprint PC's with high end Nvidia
>> video cards
>> have to admit to not being a great Apple fan
>
> Don't go "too" high-end with the nVidia cards. Actually, anything
> "better" than a 5200 is pretty much wasted.

For now. Don't forget about the UI revamp that's happening right now.
I imagine lots of OpenGL stuff will be in there. I also imagine a 5200
will have a difficult time running 1920x1080 full screen OpenGL
effects. Not to mention the OpenGL video playback improvements that
have happened recently and may continue to happen.

> In fact, the 5xxx series
> cards had chroma-key, while later cards didn't, and the most recent
> cards have no XvMC support in Linux.

The most recent cards have no XvMC support in any OS.