[mythtv-users] Intermittently bad audio with upgrade to Fedora 9, myth 0.21

Jim Scott jimdscott at gmail.com
Sun Sep 7 19:48:44 UTC 2008

I recently upgraded my PVR-500 system to Fedora 9 and myth 0.21-192 from
atrpms. I'm having intermittently scratchy audio on both tuners. The bad
audio can come from either tuner. If I stop the recording and immediately
switch to watching the input from the tuner, the audio has always been fine.
I've watched the videos on a separate machine without the bad audio, so the
problem must occur in the recording or encoding.

dmesg reports many ivtv* errors:
ivtv0: All encoder VBI stream buffers are full. Dropping data.
ivtv0: Cause: the application is not reading fast enough.
ivtv1: All encoder MPG stream buffers are full. Dropping data.
ivtv1: Cause: the application is not reading fast enough.

cat /proc/interrupts shows what appear to be conflicts:
 17:   27482432   IO-APIC-fasteoi   Intel ICH5, ivtv0
 18:   19053098   IO-APIC-fasteoi   uhci_hcd:usb4, ata_piix, ivtv1

Are the interrupts the problem? The mailing list archive directs me to check
the interrupts, but I can't find anything to help me determine whether I
have an interrupt problem, or how to fix it.