[mythtv-users] DTV: It Has Begun

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Sep 8 20:41:49 UTC 2008

Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> While everyone knows that The Big Ol' Analog Switch will be getting
> pulled next spring, and OTA NTSC-M will be no more (except for low power
> stations and translators; pity them), I'd bet most of you didn't know
> that Wilmington NC pulled said switch *today at Noon ET*:

The reporter who said this compares with the switch from B+W to color is
totally wrong. That transition did not require anyone to purchase new
equipment, and every B+W set out there continued to work precisely the
same as it did before that changeover.

This is because NTSC color is compatible with B+W transmission.

ATSC is NOT compatible with NTSC, and the transition is totally
different from B+W to color, or FM mono to FM multiplex.

Though I admit I don't see any way that digital could have been made
compatible with analog TV.

Now lets all wait and see if the "public safety enhancements", touted as
a major reason for this switch, materialize. Anyone want to place bets?

beww