[mythtv-users] DTV: It Has Begun

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Tue Sep 9 03:23:00 UTC 2008

On Mon, Sep 08, 2008 at 07:22:26PM -0700, David Brodbeck wrote:
> They have to "sell" HDTV to the public so they see the switch as
> benefiting them in some way.  The changeover was mostly driven by a
> desire to sell off the old spectrum, not because the public was
> demanding it; except for videophiles and sports fans with bigscreen TVs,
> most people were perfectly happy with NTSC.

Correct.

And NTSC -- if you do it right -- is *DAMNED* impressive.

Alas, it's next to impossible to get a demonstration, live and in person,
of Yves Faroudja's SuperNTSC... but people whom I know and trust tell me
it was *easily* equivalent to the Japanese-only HDTV of it's (early) day,
using all the proper equipment along the way.

The thing that is really going to bite, though, is the law of unintended
consequences.  Analog NTSC has been around for over 50 years; they are
going to have missed *something* critical.

Cheers,
-- jra

	     Those who cast the vote decide nothing.
	       -- (Josef Stalin)