[mythtv-users] DTV: It Has Begun

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Sep 9 14:35:51 UTC 2008

On 09/09/2008 08:18 AM, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> I don't remember if 1080p24 is in the spec or not;

Yep.  And 1080p30, 480p60,480p30, and 480p24.
http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ISSUES/what_is_ATSC.html

Now if only the broadcasters would quit choosing to rebroadcast the
low-quality interlaced and pillar-boxed*** versions of the old movies
after "upconverting" them themselves.  I'm guessing it's a lot cheaper
for them to license the garbage-quality version of the movie for
broadcast than the DVD-quality or better version (but if anyone knows
why, I'd love to know).

Mike

***I find it very annoying when I see a 4:3 pillar-boxed image on my
16:9 screen that says, "This movie has been modified from its original
version.  It has been edited for content /and to fit your screen/."