[mythtv-users] DTV: It Has Begun

Keith - kwakins at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 15:16:14 UTC 2008

> > ***I find it very annoying when I see a 4:3 pillar-boxed image on my
> > 16:9 screen that says, "This movie has been modified from its original
> > version.  It has been edited for content /and to fit your screen/."
>
> Boy do I agree with you on that one !!!

It's much easier (read: cheaper and faster) to run a 4:3 program (that has
already had the sides chopped, or been pan+scan'ed to be 4:3) through an
up-converter to make it HD than it is to find an anamorphic versions and
re-edit them for braodcast and upconvert them to HD, or to go back to film
and transfer to HD.

The networks reasoning is to get inventory converted to fill black space on
air, while more original HD programming is created.  It's just a stop-gap
and will pass.