[mythtv-users] any real performance advantage with 64bit OS?

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Tue Sep 9 22:04:10 UTC 2008

Andy Wettstein wrote:

> So depending on the application there are definite performance increases
> with 64 bit.

My guess is that the compilation comparisons are not fair, since
different code is generated in each case.

Otherwise, the tests are very interesting. Very good information.

> Flash works fine on 64 bit with nspluginwrapper.

I'm testing with Mythbuntu 8.04.1 64bit in VMware, since my hardware is
still being shipped.
Google Earth 32bit seems to work fine once you install some 32bit libraries.
I tested Flash with the nspluginwrapper in Firefox and it works fine too.

I am going to test the other method: 32bit Firefox with all sorts of 32
bit plugins, including Java. If that works (and everyone says it does,
some claim it's even more stable than nspluginwrapper), then I don't
think I have a reason to use a 32bit OS, especially after seeing your
benchmarks.

That's all I really care about: Google Earth and Firefox with Flash and
Java.
I don't even care about playing random strange video files, because
those will get converted to AVC/AAC no matter what's the source format
(I got that conversion down pat, x264 / MeGUI are a great combination)
and will be played by the PS3.

The MythTV server is being built exclusively for:
- recording/playing digital TV, SD and HD
- some online things (Google Earth, Firefox/Flash/Java)
- Internet radio stations (mostly MP3 streaming)
- MythWeather (hopefully it works now, I remember having some nasty
issues with it a while ago on 0.20.x on a non-dedicated machine)

At this point, everything seems doable on 64bit. I'll switch testing to
the real hardware once I get it.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/