[mythtv-users] Myth - TV connection

The GUIGuy linux at finalfiler.com
Wed Sep 10 20:22:56 UTC 2008

A JM wrote:
> What is the difference between using a VGA connection to my LCD and
> using HDMI - with regards to the video resolution? I realize the audio
> will need to fed separately is the some disparity between the 2 type of
> connections...
>
> Thanks.

My recent experience;

I wanted 1080 HD output to a LG 42" LCD, using an nvidia 7200GS DVI-I >
HDMI output.

After much trial, error & cursing I managed to set the nvidia to 1980 X
1200 X 50Hz. The trick with the video card's outputput was the frequency
setting. I was able to use the nvidia GUI control panel to  set the
output parameters. However, I was plagued by overscan problems.

The TV  has a function "JUST SCAN" that is supposed to automatically set
aspect ratio and control overscan.  It seems to work well enough and the
picture is now, well, picture perfect.

Was it worth it? Maybe. The picture from HDMI seems a little sharper and
crisper but it seems to suffer from some motion blur when watching fast
action sports on live TV.

All in all, the benefits  of changing from VGA > HDMI are not
compelling, IMO.

And now I am getting progressive sound sync problems, ie watching live
TV the picture & sound start out in sync but gradually lose it, After
about an hour it's about half a second out. :(

There is always something not quite right with HTPCs, IMO.

Cheers

The GUIGuy