[mythtv-users] MythTV and ripping "The Phantom Menace"

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Thu Sep 11 04:58:46 UTC 2008

This one time, at band camp, Dan Linder wrote:
>    I've been ripping and trans-coding my DVD collection to my MythTV box with
>    good success until tonight.  I put in the DVD "Star Wars I - The Phantom
>    Menace" and it starts ripping the movie (just the movie, not the entire
>    .ISO image).  It gets about 33% done (on the bar-graph) and then the rip
>    process seems to die and the screen says "nothing being ripped or
>    transcoded".

That'd be the MythTV taste filter.  It waits until a third through the
movie, then decides George Lucas isn't going to get any better at
writing scripts, then bails out.  It's a protection mechanism, to stop
you from throwing the remote at your expensive plasma screen.

Try starting MythTV with the --han-shot-first switch to override the
taste filter.

--
Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net>
www.rumble.net

The Tourist Engineer
Because geeks travel too.
http://engineer.openguides.org/

 "I call Windows the petri dish of choice on the Internet. It's the
  opportunity to download a virus from anywhere and infect corporate
  information."
- Scott McNealy