[mythtv-users] MythTV and ripping "The Phantom Menace"

jason maxwell decepticon at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 13:16:44 UTC 2008

> I have not tried this particular disc, but when I was doing the same
> thing I saw many newer DVDs that were just plain broken. i.e. They had
> copy protection on them such that when ripping under Linux I would end
> up with a iso file of 20GB or it would just hang sometime during the
> process. At least many of the newer (less than a year old) discs have a
> note on the package. I now use DVDFab 5 under Wine to rip them. Of
> course I have no idea how you could do that from within Myth.

See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARccOS_Protection
Sometimes I get DVDs that crap out when I rip with vobcopy, or transcode,
but will work out with mplayer's -dumpstream option.   Some just refuse to
get past certain points and I give up.  I think there are certain errors
built into DVDs that a standalone player will just jump right past, but
trying to get a bit for bit copy just cant be done.
-Jason