[mythtv-users] MythTV and ripping "The Phantom Menace"

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 14:43:42 UTC 2008

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 9:27 AM, Josh <TwoOneSix at thatclothingco.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 9:16 AM, jason maxwell <decepticon at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I have not tried this particular disc, but when I was doing the same
>>> thing I saw many newer DVDs that were just plain broken. i.e. They had
>>> copy protection on them such that when ripping under Linux I would end
>>> up with a iso file of 20GB or it would just hang sometime during the
>>> process. At least many of the newer (less than a year old) discs have a
>>> note on the package. I now use DVDFab 5 under Wine to rip them. Of
>>> course I have no idea how you could do that from within Myth.
>>>

>> See:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARccOS_Protection
>> Sometimes I get DVDs that crap out when I rip with vobcopy, or transcode,
>> but will work out with mplayer's -dumpstream option.   Some just refuse to
>> get past certain points and I give up.  I think there are certain errors
>> built into DVDs that a standalone player will just jump right past, but
>> trying to get a bit for bit copy just cant be done.
>> -Jason

> I stopped using Myth to get my movies from the optical disk. I found it 10x
> easier to just install WINE and run the free version of DVDFab from
> http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm I have yet to find one that it won't copy for
> me... both new and old. You will have to run a transcode seperately though.
>
> TwoOneSix

I'll third the wine/DVDFab suggestion.  If you ever find a DVD that it
won't rip, odds are there's an updated version of it available that
does...just an awesome program.  That's actually the only thing I use
wine for.  I actually do that on my headless backend machine via ssh
with X11Forwarding.  There simply are no pure linux ripping solutions
available that won't get tripped up by some of the newer copy
protection.

Never mind most of that sort of copy protection amounts to the sale of
an intentionally broken product with intentionally corrupted sectors.
At one point I vowed to never even rent another movie made by any
company that did that sort of thing (Sony was the main culprit at the
time).   Then it reached a point where that would mean watching no
movies at all as all sorts of companies seem to have jumped on that
band wagon.

Tom