[mythtv-users] Any Blu-Ray success stories?

Norm mlists at dressler.ca
Thu Sep 11 15:15:41 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-09-11 at 09:38 -0500, Mitch Gore wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 9:22 AM, Mark Anderson <ma.skies at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello All, Nice to meet you,
> >
> > I bought an OEM LG blu-ray drive from Newegg this week, and I'm
> > wondering if I should just ship it back.
> >
> > If the Blu-Ray story is broken in Linux, then I don't have the time to
> > be the front-line guinea pig.
> >
> > Does anyone have some good news for me on how well Blu-Ray works in Linux?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > -Mark
> >

> no...no good stories.  there are ways but you need to rip the disc
> first and have one beefy computer.  You might want to start reading
> before impulse buying.
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/BluRayAndHDDVD

I was able to use software to rip the Blu-ray to disk and then watch it
with no problems -- so long as you have a fast system.  There are some
linux tools but I haven't been able to get linux ripping to work for me
yet but I have been able to mount Blu-ray drives without a problem.
mplayer will play the blu-ray movie after the aacs is removed.  No menus
and such yet.  Hopefully mplayer will get there eventually.

Norm