[mythtv-users] Freesat (UK) questions

Robert RobertCL at iname.com
Fri Sep 12 17:37:36 UTC 2008

jonny Linux wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently using 2 DVB-T cards, but I'm considering trying Freesat
> (mainly for HD).
>
> Can anybody advise me which card is best supported in MythTV? I presume
> it is best to get a DVB-S2 card, but I understand support for S2 is
> limited at the moment. I was thinking of this one:
> http://www.dabs.com/ProductView.aspx?quicklinx=4KZ4
> although I've also seen references to the HVR4000 HD
> (http://www.dabs.com/ProductView.aspx?quicklinx=4B9T why is it more
> expensive?)
>
> My combined BE/FE has a Q6700 (2.66GHz Quad) processor, with a 8500GT
> graphics card, and my other FE has a 3.2GHz processor with a FX5500 card
> (I know the card won't be able to use XVMC because it isn't MPEG2).
> Would these computers both be able to decode HD from Freesat? Would I
> still be able to use MythTV 0.21, or would I have to upgrade to SVN/wait
> for a while?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jonny

There have been a few threads recently about this.

DVB-S2 isn't currently needed to get BBC-HD and ITV-HD - I get them fine
with a technotrend S-1501 (or might be S-1500)

The -S2 support in Linux is still somewhat difficult to get working from
what I can tell.  Reading the linux-dvb mailing list it seems that it
involves patching both the kernel (to get drivers working) and the
client app (i.e. MythTv).  There also seems to be a bit of a clash of
minds going on over what is going to make it into the kernel as far as
-S2 support goes - but I think some progress is finally being made on
the subject, so hopefully it will get there soon...

As for your hardware, the Q6700 will be plenty!  The 3.2Ghz should be
enough based on what I've read on this list (I think) - but you might
want to check the archives for more details...

Robert.