[mythtv-users] Is it going to get harder and harder to get the content we want in MythTV?

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Fri Sep 12 18:23:14 UTC 2008

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 02:06:13PM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 09/12/2008 12:42 PM, Gerald Brandt wrote:
> > ----- "Allen Edwards" wrote:
> >> What we need is better integration of online content into MythTV.
> >> Then more and more people will say goodbye and good riddens to Cable
> > I second this one.
>
> Until CBS/NBC/ABC/Fox/CW/MyTV/... second it, we're probably out of
> luck.  Have any of you tried watching any of the shows on their sites?
> They require Windows (for Windows Media Player and its DRM or custom
> Activex controls or ...).

    Those would be the content providers that provide their content
DRM over the public airwaves. Why worry what they do on their websites?
They stream HD MPEG2 in the clear to anyone interested in tuning it in.

> Unless, of course, you meant saying goodbye to cable and hello to
> YouTube's garbage and its ilk...

    Nevermind the Windows-centric BS dependencies. My main gripe about
all that online content would be the commercials. It's like being back
in the 80's again.

    I'd rather just wait until the content comes out on some format
gauranteed to be accessable with AnyDVD if nothing else.