[mythtv-users] Converting a HD Tivo to myth box

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Fri Sep 12 18:26:19 UTC 2008

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 01:22:56PM -0500, Kevin Kuphal wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 1:17 PM, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > The other thread about becoming harder to get data to myth got me
> > thinking again because more and more analog channels of mine are being
> > moved to encrypted digital.
> >
> > Anyone know if it is possible to replace the harddrive in a Tivo box
> > and use it as a mythtv box?
> >
> > Since these boxes use dual tuners and cable cards this would be very
> > attractive to me if I could install myth and use it as a backend.
>

> No.  And even if you could start down that road, there is no support for
> such devices in Linux let alone MythTV.

    Tivo boxes have always been pathetically weak boxes with some
special acceleration hardware added. They are NOT general purpose
machines and not something you would want to try and use as such.

    Back in the day, the acceleration hardware in a Tivo at least
represented something bleeding edge. It doesn't anymore. You're
better off with some sort of PC or other media extender (like the
popcorn hour).