[mythtv-users] Converting a HD Tivo to myth box

Heath Roberts htroberts at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 20:47:19 UTC 2008

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 2:26 PM, jedi <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:

>    Tivo boxes have always been pathetically weak boxes with some
> special acceleration hardware added. They are NOT general purpose
> machines and not something you would want to try and use as such.

I don't think anyone asked about replacing a desktop machine or database
server with a TiVo box.

The other side of this particular coin is that not much energy goes into
making Myth code efficient, which puts users on a constant upgrade
treadmill--Myth is sort of the Vista of FOSS, and if it takes fairly
high-end hardware to run it, the decision-makers seem okay with that.

That doesn't match up with my own personal wishes--I'd like to be able to
run the frontend, at least, on inexpensive, low-power, resource-limited
hardware--but I'm not trying to say it's inherently good or bad, just that
it is.

So maybe the TiVo isn't "weak", just engineered.

--
Heath Roberts
htroberts at gmail.com