[mythtv-users] Converting a HD Tivo to myth box

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 21:18:59 UTC 2008

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 3:47 PM, Heath Roberts <htroberts at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 2:26 PM, jedi <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:
>
>>    Tivo boxes have always been pathetically weak boxes with some
>> special acceleration hardware added. They are NOT general purpose
>> machines and not something you would want to try and use as such.
>>

> I don't think anyone asked about replacing a desktop machine or database
> server with a TiVo box.
>
> The other side of this particular coin is that not much energy goes into
> making Myth code efficient, which puts users on a constant upgrade
> treadmill--Myth is sort of the Vista of FOSS, and if it takes fairly
> high-end hardware to run it, the decision-makers seem okay with that.
>
> That doesn't match up with my own personal wishes--I'd like to be able to
> run the frontend, at least, on inexpensive, low-power, resource-limited
> hardware--but I'm not trying to say it's inherently good or bad, just that
> it is.

My Athlon 1800 is still running just fine as my backend using 2 SD and 2 HD
tuners.  The hardware requirements have only gone up as the requirement for
HD has become standard for playback.  Myth itself hasn't required any newer
hardware to do what it did years ago when I started using it except maybe
for a little more memory.

Kevin