[mythtv-users] Converting a HD Tivo to myth box

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Sat Sep 13 03:12:07 UTC 2008

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 06:11:48PM -0400, Heath Roberts wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 4:59 PM, Brad Fuller <bradallenfuller at gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > depends on what you think is inexpensive, low-power, etc.
> >
> > I run MythFE on an Apple TV that cost me $229 new. I think that's
> > pretty inexpensive.
> >

> I agree that the AppleTV is a pretty inexpensive front-end. It's also quiet
> and unobtrusive. But you probably had to do quite a bit of shoe-horning of
> Myth to get it to fit into the 256M of memory the ATV has, and I don't think
> that's trivial or well-supported in the current distribution.

     My AppleTV is just a bog standard Ubuntu install.

     No "shoehorning" is required.

     Getting the box to the point where it will boot Linux is a royal
pain in the ass but that's another matter. Once a "normal" bootloader
is installed you can treat it like any other PC.

     Tempted to get another one and make it my mail/web server.