[mythtv-users] Sync 2 remote backends over VPN

Marc Randolph mrand at pobox.com
Sat Sep 13 15:00:17 UTC 2008

On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 12:25 AM,  <robbinsck1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> In theory you could setup a user job to run at the end of a recording, have the user job run nuvexport and use the "nuv and sql"
>> option to export the video and SQL to directory.
>> Use rsync to synchronize the files, then some kind of cron job or something on destination to scan the directory and move the files to
>> the storage directory on the other box and import the SQL program information.  Would think something like that would work in theory
>> at it would preserve the database info, and should be portable across different mythtv versions without doing a sql hack of your own.
>
> You make it sound so easy, and maybe it is....I have the nuvexport to a local directory down. Next is to get automated rsync working
> with a cron job and the whole trusted certificate thing. Then the tricky part, scan and import....:hmmm.
> What would be a remote backend trigger letting it know, it can scan and import? If it runs mid transfer that would be bad, right?
(fixed very broken quoting)

My understanding is that rsync uses temporary filenames during
transfer (semi-hidden as they start with a period).
This means your script could simply watch the import directory... if
there is a file there (that doesn't start with a period), do
something, otherwise do nothing.

   Marc