robbinsck1 at gmail.com
robbinsck1 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 14 02:24:28 UTC 2008
From: robbinsck1 at gmail.com
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 02:19:53
To: Josh White<jaw1959 at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] mytharchive
Thanks for the assistance; I moved my mount point to mirror that of the backend, and it seems to work, but now I have a new problem. I always skip commercials, and I'd like to strip the commercials from the file that will be used to create the DVD (so the students don't have to watch them). According to the wiki:
To create a DVD
* Choose Export Video Files | Create DVD
* Choose what size DVD is required and whether files will be copied from the file system or if an ISO image for later burning or actually burn the ISO image to a blank DVD. Press 'Next'.
* Choose what files to burn to DVD. If the file is a MythTV recording and the file has a cut list MythArchive can edit out sections of the recording according to the cutlist. If editing the files' metadata is necessary (title, subtile, description etc) press 'Menu' to show the popup menu and choose 'Edit Details'. Press 'Next'.
* Choose the menu theme to use on the produced DVD. Press 'Next'.
* The final page of the wizard displays the shows chosen to burn to disc and the order in which they will appear on the DVD. It also shows whether a cutlist will be used. An item can be moved up and down the list by clicking SELECT on file in the list and using the up/down keys to move the file to its new position. Pressing SELECT again will fix the file in its new position. On this page the re-encoding profile can also be chosen. Each file can have a different encoding profile if so desired. If the file is already a DVD compliant file the default is to not re-encode the file but this can be overridden with other profiles (possibly to reduce the file size to make more room for files on the final disc). The Thumb Image Selector from can also be run from this page - See below. Press 'Finish'
* The script to create the DVD will now be run and the log viewer will now be shown.
* C - toggle use cut list
But when I get to the "Select Archive Items" screen, the lower left of the screen reads "No Cutlist Available" and I'm unsure of how to create one/make one available. I watched the show today, and it skipped commercials correctly, so I'm not worried about that, but I would like to know how to get from the point of having the file "commercial flagged" to having a "cutlist" I can use in this context. How do I do that? I guess I don't understand the difference between a file that has been commercial flagged, and one with a cutlist (is there a difference?).
Again, from the Wiki:
Creating a cutlist
Jump to: navigation <http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Creating_a_cutlist#column-one> , search <http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Creating_a_cutlist#searchInput>
While MythTV is very good at skipping commercials, usually, sometimes it doesn't do so well. If you want to edit out commercials yourself, it's actually very easy.
* Enter Edit Mode by pressing E on the keyboard. If commercial detection is enabled, Z will load the detected commercials.
* Move forward and back in the video file using the forward and back keys to move forward or back by one time unit (defaults to 1 second), and using the < and > keys you can move forward and back by 10 units at a time. Use Up and Down to change the time unit - values are 1 frame, 0.5 seconds, 1 second, 5 seconds, 20 seconds, 1 minute, 5 minutes, 10 minutes. Use the Page Up and Page Down keys to move between cut points.
* When you locate the start of a commercial, just press the enter or space key and select 'Delete after this frame' from the pop up menu.
* When you locate the end of a commercial, press the enter or space key and select 'Delete before this frame' from the pop up menu.
* When you've completed your editing, press E. The very tail of the video will play and you'll pop back to the watch recorded programs screen.
* If you, or automatic detection, have bollocksed up the list enough, then the 'Home key will clear the list.
That's it. Now when you watch the program it will be commercial free.
So I tried to find some assistance from the wiki, but the above seems to be a way to tweak the commercial flag points, and would lead me to conclude that commrecial flagging creates a cutlist, but I'm not sure.
And again, thanks for the help so far, and thanks for any help going forward!
There's several ways to do this, but for now do this.
1. Start watching the recording
2. Push menu and select edit recordng
3. Push z to pull up all the cut points.
4. Make sure they are all correct.
5. Push ESC and then x
You should see it say transcoding.
Wait for it to finish and the file will no longer have any commercials.
Burn it...have a good Saturday night.
More information about the mythtv-users