[mythtv-users] Mythvideo not finding my files

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Mon Sep 15 14:58:18 UTC 2008

> suspecting permissions of the directories into which you dropped your
> video files.

Turns out that was the case, though not how I expected it. The Mythbuntu
install was using my user rather than "mythtv" as the auto-login user. I
need to fix that. For now, I just did a chmod -R 775 on the whole tree and
it started working. Not super secure, but it's a video player on an internal
network with no outside access. It's probably "good enough". I do want to
switch the auto-login user though, everything else is set up around that
user. Great job to the dev team, the video player works quite well.

I also got sound working. I found some articles in the wiki that talked
about digital sound configuration and the tips got the job done. Even DVD
images with AC3 work and my receiver uses the surround track properly.

I did notice a possible bug, the interface to add file types doesn't seem to
save new types. I hit "add", enter the extension, and hit "done". When I
come back, the extension is nowhere to be found. I was adding a setting for
"mp4" files, but it works anyway with the default player. I was just
thinking about trying the internal player.