[mythtv-users] Speed/disk access, multiple tuners, multiple myth drives

Bobby Gill bobbygill at rogers.com
Tue Sep 16 03:37:30 UTC 2008

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 11:28 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:

> Paul Bender wrote:
> > Bobby Gill wrote:
> >> My Mythbox specs are a PVR-150 and drive is a WD Sata 320gb 16mb cache.
> >>
> >> Currently if the tuner is recording and I try to watch a previous
> >> recording at the same time, I notice slowdown in responsiveness for
> >> things like rewinding/forwarding and whatnot. Now if I add another
> >> tuner, would that make things smoother for playback?
> >>
> >> Or another scenario I'm pondering to get things smoove is that I'm
> >> thinking of adding a Seagate 32mb cache drive. Now could I have Myth set
> >> up so that it records LiveTV to one drive and keeps recordings on
> >> another?So if it were to be recording Live TV while I'm watching a
> >> previous recording, surely things would be faster.
> >>
> >> Just a bit confused on this, trying to get it a lil smoother as even
> >> deleting files on the drive causes playback to pause, and I have the
> >> delete files slowly option in mythtv-setup checked.
> >>
> >> Thanks for any help,
> >> Bob
> >
> > Are your MySQL database and recording/livetv directory on the save
> > drive? If so, then you might get the best performance increase by moving
> > the MySQL database to a different drive.
>
> Good advice, perhaps you should say "spindle" and not "drive", as it's
> possible to have 2 or more logical drives on the same physical device,
> but that's getting picky :-)
>
> But to address the OP's original question. No, another tuner would not
> have any effect at all on the performance while watching a recording
> while making 1 new one. The only way another tuner would effect things
> would be if it were in use, and then the effect would be negative,
> obviously, if it were recording to the same device.
>
> If separating the DB and video doesn't fix things, look at your disk and
> filesystem performance. Modern drives should not have a problem with the
> situation you describe.
> beww

Okay, so I'm taking it that the MySQL database takes up most of the
resources for disk access when playing back and using frontend for general
recording management? I do have the drive in partitions with the recordings
on a separate part from the home/root, but a different drive would garner a
more significant performance increase I'm guessing.

Bob