[mythtv-users] Problem to connect to remote backend

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Tue Sep 16 19:42:08 UTC 2008

On Sep 16, 2008, at 12:02 PM, H P Ladds wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 10:40 PM, Ole Jørgen Legård
> <ole at legaard.net> wrote:
>>> H P Ladds:
>>
>>> I received similar warnings when accidentally used two differing
>>> versions of My SQL.
>>
>> Frontend:
>> mysql -V
>> mysql  Ver 14.12 Distrib 5.0.51a, for debian-linux-gnu (i486) using
>> readline
>> 5.2
>>
>> Backend:
>> mysql -V
>> mysql  Ver 14.12 Distrib 5.0.51a, for redhat-linux-gnu (x86_64) using
>> readline 5.0
>>
>> Could this be a problem (I have no idea what these differences mean)?
>
> Yes this could potentially be the problem. Stating the obvious:

The version of the mysql server on the frontend is irrelevant since
mythtv is not using that at all (you don't even need to have it
installed and most instructions tell you not to install it so you
don't get confused thinking you are using it by mistake). What you
should be concerned with is the mysql client version on the frontend.
Since it is at 5.2 (I'm guessing based on your mysql server version),
this will have no problem connecting to mysql 5.0 on your backend.

64bit clients can communicate with 32bit servers and vice-versa. I do
it all the time. I'm sorry I missed the beginning of this thread, but
this is definitely not the problem.

You may need to use OLD_PASSWORD as discussed here: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/old-client.html
But I don't think that's the problem, either.

You might want to turn on verbose logging so you can see exactly what
the frontend is doing when it "freezes". The server is not returning a
connection error, so I don't think the request is making it to the
backend at all. You did open all the default mythtv ports along with
the mysql port, yes?

http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-3.html

-Brad