[mythtv-users] VNC and MythTV

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Wed Sep 17 02:14:46 UTC 2008

On Sep 16, 2008, at 6:09 PM, Steve Hodge wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 10:27 AM, Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com
> > wrote:
> However, you probably would do better with X-forwarding over ssh so
> you can run X on your local machine and the apps from your myth box.
>
> I use VNC for two things - one is to connect to the regular X
> server that is running the frontend. I can't watch anything via VNC
> but I can use it schedule records etc. I also have a separate Xvnc
> server that I keep logged in so that I can instantly access a
> desktop on that machine (i.e. a persistent session).
>
> AFAIK you can't do either of those things with X forwarding.

You can run a whole desktop session over x-forwarding if you want.
Also, the original poster stated:
Note I'm NOT watching frontend via VNC just wanted access to Desktop
remotely for running other GUI programs.

X-forwarding is faster if you want "access to Desktop remotely for
running other GUI programs".. or rather.. just running other GUI
programs remotely - no need to get to the desktop, specifically.