[mythtv-users] OT: making my own streams

Bob mythtv at cox.net
Fri Sep 19 04:36:31 UTC 2008

I know this is off topic, but someone on the list may be able to help.

I have a device that can output a transport stream similar to a cable
box using firewire, but I cannot get the device to work with mythtv.

I would like to have mythtv connect to a port on localhost and have the
stream spew from that port.  This would allow me to use the IPTV record
and capture the shows.

Trouble is that I have done some proof-of-concept that it has not
worked.  I added this to /etc/inetd.conf:

myiptv          dgram   udp     wait    root    /usr/sbin/tcpd
/usr/local/bin/myiptv

where I defined myiptv in /etc/services as:

myiptv          1234/udp

When I point vlc, mplayer, or xine at this port I don't get anything.

If I run the /usr/local/bin/myiptv script on the system the stream spews
to stdout.

Suggestions?