[mythtv-users] Peak Hardware Single or Dual Tuner - any users?

James Buckle coyoteboyuk at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 19 13:35:00 UTC 2008

Im trying to find out if anyone is using a Peak Hardware tuner - I'm in the market for a tuner but cant justify the extra cost of the "known makes" unless I have no other choice (I might as well buy a DVR and keep my mp3/photos seperate if tuners are too pricey). The product description can be found here:
http://www.peakhardware.com/products/productdetail.asp?PAID=383

I've seen some comments (google searched for ages) where someone managed to get one tuner working fine, but then I cant piece together (from the thread) if it was ever finalised/implemented properly. I dont mind a little fiddling but I dont really want to have to recompile the drivers with tweaks if I can help it. I only want the dual tuner option for watching and recording different channels, rather than multiple sources.

Is the Peak card an encoder too - i.e. will my old Athlon 2500 with 2 gig of ram and a TB of space be sufficient for encoding and playing, or do I need to find a card with an encoder in it?

I've not been looking into this for long, I've searched the wiki/sites but cant find easy answers. Nothing worth doing is easy!

Any help, even if just links, is appreciated!

Cheers