[mythtv-users] Frontend and backend on 2 different networks?

Tom Lichti tom at redpepperracing.com
Fri Sep 19 21:36:37 UTC 2008

Ryan wrote:
> Morning
>
> Well i cant seem to find a good answer, or maybe I'm not reading
> closely so ill post here.  Heres the situation:
>
> I have a currently up and running mythbackend and multiple frontends
> on my local network.  In my house, my roomate upstairs has his network
> setup, and i have another setup.  I would like to have a frontend on
> his network connect to one on mine.
>
> The network is split like this:  We have a 2wire DSL modem/router
> serving 2 internal 172.*.*.* addys to each of our routers(I have a
> dlink and he has a Linksys).  Now am i correct to assume that with the
> proper port forwarding on the dlink, the frontend on his network can
> point to my routers 172.*.*.* address and connect to my backend?  If
> this is true, what ports do i need open?  I know 6543 (i think lol im
> not at home) needs to be open, and someone said something about mysql
> port, which i havnt found.
>
> I have talked to him about one of us losing a network and going with a
> switch instead, but neither of us feels like giving up out personal
> networks if the above thinkin is correct.  So i put it out there to
> you!  Will this work or should i be thinkin of migrating to one network?
>
> Cheers!
Assuming you get the routing and firewalls setup correctly, this
situation is definitely do-able, since I am doing the same thing right
now. My main network is 10.10.20.* with all the Myth stuff on it, and my
main frontend, and I have a Linksys wireless router plugged into it that
serves 10.10.10.* to wireless and wired clients on it's ports, and
MythTV works just fine over both wired and wireless.

Tom