[mythtv-users] Cover downloads from IMDB

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Sep 20 16:31:53 UTC 2008

Matt S. wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 9:52 AM, Damian O'Sullivan <shabba at skynet.ie> wrote:
>
>> Who oh why oh why do people feel the need to quote a few hundered lines of
>> text and then there is only 2 lines of a reply?? This thread is a prime
>> example. Please please trim posts. Have a look at these posts on the web
>> to see how ridculous it looks. It could easily be the difference between
>> someone responding or not.
>>

> We'll - if we're complaining about off-topic stuff, I'd rather have a
> good, heavily utilized web forum than a mailing list... it'd solve
> almost all the issues (not trimming, top positing, etc).  But hey,
> that's just me. :)

There are many forum type sites related to MythTV, this just doesn't
happen to be one of them. The forum format has been brought up here many
times, and rejected for valid reasons (it's Isaac's list, and he doesn't
like them).

Anyone is free to start any forum or other site they want to.

But your point is valid, and also brought up often.

I'd like to see a counter added to each post, indicating the ratio of
quoted to new material. I for one would probably set up my mailer to
reject anything over a certain ratio.

Of course I could calculate such a ratio locally, but I think it would
really help to have it listed on the message, preferably right at the top.

beww