[mythtv-users] Can anyone recommend Mythbuntu?

Tom Lichti tom at redpepperracing.com
Sat Sep 20 18:13:47 UTC 2008

_ wrote:
> I've been using MythTV on Suse 10.2 until now, but for the last several
> months I've had a hell of a lot of trouble with the sound on the
> internal player. I'm wondering if switching distros is the answer. What
> are the ups and downs of Mythbuntu? How up-to-date is it? I've read some
> introductory information on it, and it seems to be designed for
> dedicated systems, which is what my MythTV box is.
>     I should point out that I currently I just use MythTV to view
> digital media on my TV, and not as a PVR.

All I can say is my experience with it for a frontend was not good. I
can't necessarily say it was specifically Mythbuntu that was the
problem, but I didn't have any issues before Mythbuntu (using KnoppMyth)
or after I switched to MythDora. The issue was that on OTA HD playback,
there would be continuous, periodic (every few seconds or so) glitches,
basically a hiccup in the stream. Once I narrowed it down to the
frontend, I re-installed and no more problems. I was using an Nvidia
video card, with a dual core Pentium D 2.8, GB LAN, running trunk
builds. Same hardware with MythDora, flawless HD playback.

Tom