[mythtv-users] MythTV and digital cable service

Rohit Chaudhri rohit.chaudhri at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 01:14:19 UTC 2008

Hi,
I am considering installing some DVR software on a laptop so that I can use
it as a DVR. So currently looking at MythTV and Yahoo Go for TV as possible
options. I currently get channels over analog, so starting Feb 2009 with the
nationwide switch to DTV, this will stop working and I'll probably get
digital cable TV service from a provider like Comcast, AT&T etc.
So I want my laptop DVR system to be compatible with the digital cable
service I'll have in the future. With this in mind, the questions I have
are:
- What digital TV tuner card, compatible with MythTV, should I consider
purchasing that'll work to record and playback digital programs received via
a set-top box? I'd want my DVR system to record/playback all channels I
receive from my STB - not just local non-scrambled HDTV channels.
- I don't exactly understand how all of this works, but as long as I have a
digital TV tuner card compatible with MythTV - will any card work to
record/playback any of my subscribed channels?

Thanks!

 Rohit