[mythtv-users] MythTV and digital cable service

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Sep 22 01:42:20 UTC 2008

Rohit Chaudhri wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 6:19 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org
> <mailto:beww at beww.org>> wrote:
>
>     Rohit Chaudhri wrote:
>     >
>     Only the unencrypted ones, which in most markets is only the off-airs
>     and perhaps things like CSPAN.
>
>     Essentially, if you need an STB to receive it, you will need an STB to
>     record it with MythTV, unless it is analog.
>

> Thanks for your response! So if I have digital cable service and my
> setup is like:
> STB->MythTV->TV
>
> Will MythTV record the subscribed, encrypted digital channels too? I'm
> guessing that even without an intermediate MythTV box, the STB would
> decrypt the signal before sending it off to the TV for playback? Hence
> an intermediate box like MythTV should be able to record the unencrypted
> signal for playback at a later time.

Myth can record from an STB in several ways:

(The first two are the only ways to get HD, Listed more or less in the
order of desirability)

* If you are really lucky your STB will have a firewire output which is
enabled, and you can record that with Myth.

* You use a device like the Hauppauge HPVR-1212 to capture the component
output of the STB.

* Record the STB's S-Video or composite video out.

* Record the STB's RF output.

Obviously you will need to set up something to change the channels on
the STB for you

beww