[mythtv-users] Many programs not getting any commercial detection

Jon Bishop jon.the.wise.gdrive at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 08:33:02 UTC 2008

On Sep 21, 2008, at 12:28 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 11:46 PM, Dean Harding
> <dean.harding at dload.com.au> wrote:
>> The GUIGuy wrote:
>>> Same here in Australia. It seems more prevalent in free to air HD
>>> transmissions. They often have no transition or black frames at all
>>> between program contend and commercial breaks.
>>
>> They also tend not to put the network logo up between the last
>> commercial break and the end of the program which often causes the
>> commercial detection to skip the end of the program...
>>
>> There's no possible explanation for that EXCEPT that they do it on
>> purpose...
>>
>> Dean.
>
> Too bad we didn't manage to get any of the 'in the know' folks to
> respond, but none of my Sunday morning political talk shows got
> commercial detection today.

Have you tried manually telling the episode to detect commercials
(select the recording (I use accelerator keys) to get info, go to job
options, and tell it to flag commercials)? Is it not detecting
commercials, or is it not running the commercial detection at all?

> I think I'll remove the program record instructions, set them up again
> new and then see what happens next Sunday. This is three or four weeks
> in a row where those programs (This Week, Meet the Press) didn't get
> commercial detection.

If it ran the routine, then it is likely that the method of detection
you've got selected is incompatible with the show/network/episode in
question. It may be something that was changed by the network. It
could be that one method will work better than another, or better than
all methods even. May require some playing around to find out if one
method works better on that station than the others....

~Jon