[mythtv-users] MythTV on a Macbook running Ubuntu

Ivan Kowalenko kichigaimentat at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 18:00:35 UTC 2008

On Sep 22, 2008, at 13.52, Rohit Chaudhri wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm considering installing MythTV on a Macbook running Ubuntu Linux
> (the latest version 8.04, installed natively). Will follow the
> instructions on ubuntuforums to install ubuntu on the machine.

 From experience, it shouldn't be too much of an issue, all you're
going to have to worry about some of the power management stuff and
the keyboard layout, but the Ubuntu Forums guys can probably help you
better than I can.

> I was wondering if someone has used a Macbook for MythTV and could
> could share their experience with that? How well it runs, things to
> keep in mind while doing this etc.

Shouldn't be too much trouble. Are we talking about as a front-end?
Because what about just running the OS X front-end? It works alright,
and you have access to the IR port on the MacBook, plus you can run
SMCFanControl 2 for cooling. Just throwing ideas out there.

> Since Macbooks can heat up quick, I'm a bit concerned about this
> aspect of it.

A cooling pad should do the trick.