[mythtv-users] mythtv audio stuttering on 720p material after upgrade to Fedora 9

Don Lewis dl-mythtv at catspoiler.org
Tue Sep 23 06:41:11 UTC 2008

On 21 Sep, Joe Henley wrote:
> It's a bit of a long shot, but you might try disabling Pulse Audio.
> There are/were lots of problems with it in Fedora 9.

I'm open to trying long shots at this point ...

I wasn't able to find a specific way to disable PulseAudio, but
according to what I have read, the following entries in /etc/asound.conf
or ~/.asoundrc are needed to get ALSA to use PulseAudio:

	pcm.pulse {
	    type pulse
	}

	ctl.pulse {
	    type pulse
	}

Neither of these files are present, and aplay -L doesn't mention
PulseAudio, so I don't think that ALSA is using PulseAudio on this
machine.

# aplay -L
default:CARD=NVidia
    HDA NVidia, ALC883 Analog
    Default Audio Device
front:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC883 Analog
    Front speakers
surround40:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC883 Analog
surround41:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC883 Analog
surround50:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC883 Analog
surround51:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC883 Analog
surround71:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC883 Analog
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia
    HDMI Audio Output
null

# aplay -l
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC883 Analog [ALC883 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: ALC883 Digital [ALC883 Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Even if ALSA was using PulseAudio for normal audio streams, shouldn't
enabling AC3 passthrough bypass it?  I get the same results with both
settings for AC3 passthrough.

In any case, I can kill the pulseaudio daemon and I get exactly the same
behaviour.